Old 07-29-15, 11:36 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,930 Times in 2,555 Posts
I have 2 pairs of Ortleib front panniers. 2nd pair "replaced" the first at 10 years. Just because; nothing wrong with the first at all, at least until I carelessly packed a very sharp knife to a company potluck. A standard raft repair made it as good as new. Those first ones still get used for market runs and every time I want rear panniers. And they still hold water. Yes, I could fill them up, roll the top closed and use them as traditional water bags. Cans? For the most part, cans are lighter than water because they do not pack solid; there is plenty of air in there between the cans. Sharp? If your skin can handle it, so can the Ortleibs.

The materials and construction of the Ortleibs is little different from the rafts that go careening off rocks. They are not delicate!

Edit: The hardware, especially the top clips do need to be replaced periodically. I did my first bag's at 9 or 10 years. Swapping it oiut was easy. Ordering the hardware through a shop was likewise. I suspect doing through Ortleib on like is just as easy. They seem to be a solid company.

Ben

Last edited by 79pmooney; 07-29-15 at 11:41 PM.