View Single Post
Old 08-03-15, 09:14 AM
RollingBlubber

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chamois cream and padded shorts/bibs

I'm hoping someone here can help me get some saddle relief. I've bought some of Aerotech's gear and found it to be very disappointing in both the fit (some are too small, some too big) and quality (last about 500 miles) department so I'm not interested in giving them another chance. Right now I'm at 385lbs and average about 100 miles a week at a 13mph pace with a steady cadence so I'm looking for something that will help keep the saddle sores at bay. What I need are the list of manufactures (custom or otherwise) that can or will make extended sizes of padded (preferably gel) shorts or bibs. I have two pairs of extended sizes Canaris on the way (5XL) but in the interim I'm wearing a pair of shorts under a pair of bibs and the comfort isn't too bad but all of my shorts and bibs are worn out and need to be replaced immediately.

Again, cost isn't an issue but if I'm going to spend money I want it to be for things that are going to last and that are actually comfortable. I've reached out to a number of "custom" cycling clothing makers and for most of them "extended sizes" are a US 2XL, which is not going to work. It's frustrating having money to spend and nobody willing to take it.

I'm also curious if there's a chamois cream out there that is a bit firmer and longer lasting than ASSOS. Here's the list of chamois creams I've tried and my experience with them:

- Chamois Butt'r: decent but does not last very long during the summer. I had to stop every three or four miles to reapply yesterday, which is beyond annoying.

- Chamois Butt'r Eurostyle: great but tends to need to be reapplied multiple times a ride.

- DZ Nuts: great, but does not last very long and tends to dry out during the summer. Perfect for the trainer but just doesn't last when the temperature is over 80 degrees and it's a ride longer than 20 miles.

- ASSOS Chamois Cream: excellent but difficult to carry on the bike and tends to fade in the heat.

I don't really care about the cost but I'm looking for something that will last and is more of a gel style than a straight cream. Gooch Guard, Betwixt, and Friction Freedom are three that I'm about ready to try but I thought I'd ask here before pulling the trigger on those.