View Single Post
Old 08-03-15, 09:54 AM
adrien

Bikes: Firefly custom Road, Ira Ryan custom road bike, Ira Ryan custom fixed gear

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I'll try. The short answer is we don't know your anatomy, nor would we want to, and we don't know your saddle, riding style, fit, etc. All of these have a real impact on your comfort.

First off, saddle. You're not sharing yet where it hurts / doesn't, when, and whether there are clear wear spots that would help from a hint point of view.

Second, your desire for gel. I'm 60% of your size, but I truly hate gel. Of the serious cyclists I know, exactly none of them have gel anything. It tends to mask fit issues, rather than truly address them. Good to get my wife out to ride when she generally doesn't want to? Yup. A sounds strategy for 100 miles per week? Not in my experience. I had gel bibs once. I actually spiked them into the trash.

Third, you told us your weight, but not height. Some bibs are much better for tall folks (Hincapie comes to mind).

Fourth, Assos is the best I've found. If you're worried about renewal on the trail, you can carry extra in a ziplock, or get the mini-packs of Butt'r. Heck, even a tube of hand lotion will help. But you shouldn't be going through it that fast.