View Single Post
Old 08-03-15, 11:12 AM
RollingBlubber

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adrien
Sounds like you've got some challenges -- sorry to read but also great to hear the persistence.
Thanks for the feedback and, yeah, while I have some challenges at this weight, I'm really happy to be able to grind out 100 miles in a week. If not for the excess weight I could really stack some miles but it's a process and I'm progressing so I just need to stay focused.

I do think you're on the right path, and would suggest some non-gel bibs that have a good chamois. I personally love the KISS one on Castellis, as well as Giordana and Hincapie. Not a fan of Assos despite what everyone says -- just felt odd to me. I looked it up -- looks like Castelli goes to 3xl Size Charts | Castelli ? An Unfair Advantage

You know, I saw those and was curious if they might work. I've heard really good stuff about Castelli and if those are anything like the Hincapies they're well worth the money. Assos makes great chamois cream but I've heard the same about them that I've heard from Rapha - great marketing and a decent product but way overrated and overpriced. I've also heard Assos feel weird too. My problem with most of the "extended sizes" bibs are that the pads in them are maybe a step about brillo pads. Are they better than just riding on the saddle direct? Sure, but not much.

Two other things -- are you mostly on a road bike? If so, tires can help, but it sounds like you've likely tackled that based on the thoroughness of your replies so far.
Yep, I have a Surly Cross Check that I ride during pavement season that I'm running Continental Contact II 32s on that are probably ready to be replaced. This week the shifters should be in for my new Ultegra groupset install so I might just go ahead and replace those while I'm having it overhauled. Any recommendations on tires in the 28-32 range? I like to run the tire pressure pretty high (usually the max) for a faster ride but I'm open to any suggestions.

Second, on riding style -- how much are you in the saddle vs. out of it? At your size, and assuming fitness is the goal, rising out of the saddle more and training shorter distances but varying intensity will do much more for you, and be more comfortable as you'll ultimately have less weight on your sit bones, both in absolute terms and in terms of %.
I've started working in interval training to my weekly work out schedule so, to the best of my abilities at this time, I'm starting to do more out of the saddle sprinting to get the heart rate up (I wear a heart rate monitor at all times) to really maximize my training time. Right now I'm out of the saddle, maybe, 10% of the time but I've been hesitant to do much climbing until I replace my groupset this week (I'm paranoid about one of the crank arms breaking). My legs have gotten significantly stronger over the past couple of months so getting out the saddle to climb what passes as hills here in Minnesota is becoming less and less of a challenge but to really improve my riding ability (and overall health) I need to do that more often and at high intensities. Riding long distances is great and all but ultimately I need to get stronger and healthier and to do that I need to maximize my training time.

If you all have any recommendations on training guides (I have Joe Friel's "Training Bible" sitting right next to me) I'm totally open.