View Single Post
Old 08-03-15, 12:45 PM
adrien

Bikes: Firefly custom Road, Ira Ryan custom road bike, Ira Ryan custom fixed gear

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Me again.

On tires, and given your size and the fact that you have space, two occur to me, depending on budget and how intrepid you feel.

If you're riding mostly road and cuts don't bother you, I'd get a set of Vittoria Open Pave in 27. They are more expensive and more prone to cuts. BUT -- they are made of cotton casing, and provide a magic carpet ride. I rode Contis for years, and these, no kidding, are exponentially better in all but wear and flat resistance. Faster, but also notably smoother. Wiggle has the best price -- around $50 a pop. Get 3 so you have a backup.

Other option is one of the Panaracer lines. I personally have ridden Pasela tires a fair deal, and you can get 28s and 32s. You might also look at Gravel Kings in a 28, which is very similar to the Vittorias above -- but tougher, cheaper and won't be as sublime.

Both are more prone to flatting. Vittoria are much more tolerant of lower pressure. I'm 215, and they do fine under me in 27s on wide rims at 85/95. On my pure roadie, I ride them in 25s at 95/105. Fantastic tires.

On bibs -- try a pair of Castellis. Even their middle models are great. If I can make a leap here -- I love Hincapies, and love Castellis. If you like the Hincapies, then try the Castellis.

Have you tried cutout saddles? Selle Anatomic makes a cutout model that is similar to Brooks. Another whacky way to go is SMP, though those things are very locked-in -- some people love them.

For me, I settled on Spesh Romins, except for winter / long rides over 6 hours, when I go Fizik. Romin are very hard, but just the right shape for me.