View Single Post
Old 08-03-15, 01:26 PM
RollingBlubber

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Black wallnut
You posted that you are wearing shorts under bibs. Have you always done so?
This is a recent change since all of my Hincapie bibs have started to wear out along with my shorts. It's totally ridiculous and borderline dumb but at this weight it's actually worked to keep the blubber from spilling over where it doesn't belong and gives me good padding.

Originally Posted by Black wallnut
For cream I'm impressed with Mad Alchemy euro pro cream.
Thanks, I'll give that a try too!

Originally Posted by adrien
If you're riding mostly road and cuts don't bother you, I'd get a set of Vittoria Open Pave in 27. They are more expensive and more prone to cuts. BUT -- they are made of cotton casing, and provide a magic carpet ride. I rode Contis for years, and these, no kidding, are exponentially better in all but wear and flat resistance. Faster, but also notably smoother. Wiggle has the best price -- around $50 a pop. Get 3 so you have a backup.
I was actually looking at those as possible replacements. Cost isn't an issue with me (if I weren't this weight I'd have an S-Works) so I'm willing to roll the dice on those and see how they do.

Have you tried cutout saddles? Selle Anatomic makes a cutout model that is similar to Brooks. Another whacky way to go is SMP, though those things are very locked-in -- some people love them.
I tried a couple of the Brooks cutouts and two of the Selle Anatomics and actually found them to be very uncomfortable. Cutouts work for some people but with this much excess weight (and blubber) it has to go somewhere and the cutout actually exacerbates that instead of ameliorating it. I tried an SMP too but couldn't find one with the right balance. I see why people love those but they just didn't feel right to me.

For me, I settled on Spesh Romins, except for winter / long rides over 6 hours, when I go Fizik. Romin are very hard, but just the right shape for me.
I'm really hoping once the weight comes down a bit to switch everything over to Fizik, even though they're a little narrow. The Aliantes are fabulous saddles but right now I'm just way too heavy for them. The Romin is actually one of the saddles the fitter recommended but after my experience with the other cutout saddles I passed. If I ever get down to sub-300lbs it would probably be perfect, but right now those are just too painful.
Aliante