Old 08-03-15, 03:15 PM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found this thread in the Classic-Vintage forum.

Yes, you should go out and check out the bike. We're in this group because we're either big people who are riding bikes, big people who want to ride bikes, or people who used to be big and rode bikes and got smaller. If you worry about what people are going to think, then you want get on the bike, and getting on a bike is one step to getting more fit, and, hopefully, smaller. (I'll give you more information about me below.)

It seems that even though they were sold by Sears, they are pretty good bikes.

So check it out, take a road test on it to see if it fits. If it fits, it should be a nice recreation/touring bike.

Even though it has had a tune-up lately, I'd still take it to a LBS, and have them check the tensioning of the spokes on the wheels, as that is the part of the bike that Clydes and Athenas tend to be the roughest on. I'd also have them double-check the shifting and derailleurs. Also, the seat may end up needing to be upgraded, but that is a matter of personal comfort.

Also, while a good intro road bike starts about $500, a cruiser, like a Schwinn starts in the $300-$400 range at most shops (and I include Performance Bikes as a LBS).

Also, the Triangle area is a good area for riding bikes. If you live near Durham, the American Tobacco Trail (ATT) should be good for riding. You'll just have to look out for pedestrians.

If you live closer to the Cary area, then Performance Bikes has a Saturday Morning ride at 9am. While the ride does spend some time on the roads, about half the ride is on some trails in the Cary area.

And while I haven't been on any rides with Cyclin' Spoken Here, I've seen some of their rides. And it looks like one day of the week, they have women only rides (and one of them is for beginners, and they go up from there).

Most of my rides tend to be in the Preston neighborhood (in the Cary/Morrisville area), and it has nice bike lanes (so nice that joggers, walkers, and dog walkers like to use it).

If you have any more questions about cycling in the Triangle area, I'll try to help you out, or give you links to groups or shops that can help you.

I've only been biking (again) for about 4 months. When I first started, I could only ride my bike a little over 1 mile around a road in my apartment complex. And that felt like it was going to kill me. But, I've been riding my bike at least 3 times a week and as often as 5-6 times a week. I've worked up from 1.2 miles per ride to 14.2 miles per ride. And an average of 11-12 mph to 13-14 mph. After about 6 weeks, I had worked up to about 9 miles on a ride, so I felt confident enough to join a group ride at the Performance Bikes in Cary (where I bought my bike). I certainly wasn't the strongest person on the ride, but I was not the weakest either, and even though the ride is a no-drop beginner ride, I didn't want to hold back the group. I didn't, so mission accomplished. I've been doing the ride since Memorial Day Weekend, going about every other weekend.

I haven't been looking at a scale, but I've noticed that my fitness is better. And that my pants are fitting better, and I can use a smaller hole on my belt.

Good Luck

GH

Last edited by ColaJacket; 08-03-15 at 03:28 PM.