Old 08-04-15, 09:25 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by MattC48
Hey everyone, I own a Raleigh Misceo 2.0 and when I purchased it I had never planned to leave it outside unattended. I'll be going to college in a month though and the parking fee's are so ridiculous that I'm going to try to ride most days. Now I'm stuck with the task of securing it. I have the small Kryptonite Evolution chain for the rear wheel/frame and I purchased a cable lock (this one) to secure my front tire to my main lock. It does that just fine but obviously this thing is way too big, my local MEC doesn't even stock the smaller one. Can I just cut this in half and loop the ends to make 2 of them, and if so what is the best way to do this? I like the thickness of it because even if they are still easy to cut it at least defers attempts at it from less willing thieves.
Additionally, in regards to all the quick release parts of my bike, is a product like Pinheads really worth the price? I've watched youtube videos of people undoing those with a gator socket pretty easily. Maybe a better option is security type bolts from a hardware store?
College campuses are high risk of bike theft almost everywhere. If you are locking up in the day be where everyone can see your bike easily. Big thick Kryptonite locks. Go to the Kryptonite website where they show you how to lock the bike with the front wheel alongside the back wheel. Any quick release parts switch to nuts and bolts. Security bolts are a good idea.

The bike really needs to be inside at night.