Old 08-05-15, 06:37 AM
HvPnyrs

Location: In The Middle Of "Out There" / Downtown "Lost Angels"

Bikes: 2001 Trek 520 - Hvy Hauler, Epic Adventure Bike / 2011 Fuji Newest 1.0 - Sporty Quick Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A Defence in Depth is best for YOUR NEW BIKE on Campus

O.P.
I would recommend 'networking' with Engineering Course Students and/or Faculty to find out if the on Campus 'Fab Center' (Fabrication Center/aka Metal shop or Machine shop) has the tools and knowledge to 'REWORK' your cable (assuming Your campus has Materials Engineering/Science courses available).
DON'T be 'Too Good'/'Proud' to get to know the 'Campus Maintenance'/'Facility's Maintenance' staff (They always have a 'Shop Area' available to facilitate/expedite repairs).
Maintenance may be your ONLY, on campus, option should you be attending an (SHUDDERS... JK, JK) ARTS, BUSINESS, or LEGAL Campus.

I'M NOT feeling comfortable TRUSTING the SECURITY OF such a THIN CHAIN as your "small Evo" to protect a fairly new, approx $400 - $500 hybrid in the type of threat environment that is typical of the Large Metro Campus. My experience has been that supposedly "secure" communal bike facilities are remarkably POROUS.
I would use the small Evo CHAIN to secure front DISC BRAKE wheel and as a Secondary Anchoring Lock.

I would MOST STRONGLY urge you to seriously consider UPGRADING to a 'BEEFY' U-Lock as Primary Anchor Lock (absolute minimum) "Standard Size" 'Big 'K' Evolution "Series 4" (4 x 9 inch x *14mm* ). 'Std.size' 'O.G.' Pitbull (4.5 x 9 inch x *14mm* ). They both weigh approx. 3.5 lbs. (about 8 ounces less than a 2 liter/half gallon Cola/Milk).
At the SAME weight (3.5 lbs.) but a BIG STEP UP in Price, Quality, PROTECTION (Std. Size 'Big 'K' New York / Std. Size 'O.G.' "Brute" level protection, both of these bad-boys 'weigh in' at approx. 4 lbs.) is the ABUS Granit X-Plus 540 (230mm length shackle) - Checked U.S. Amazon $150... OUCH!! Price has gone up since I purchased the previous generation Granit X-Plus 54.