Old 08-05-15, 06:27 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
One version of that piece of metal is a "Nicopress". Common in sailboat rigging though I think they started with telephone companies. Look for a boatyard that deals with sailboats. Call ahead to make sure they have the fitting for your wire size. If they have the fitting, they will also have the tool (which you will pay them to use, they won't lend or rent it out).

You could also try a full service hardware store. I haven't tries that option. Since I used to sail and have always lived close to saltwater, finding sailmakers has never been hard. Plus I have a small Nicopress tool. (Used to own a boat.)
Just about any hardware store should have nicopress hardware for steel rope. At work we work the stuff all the time, keeping a stock of 3/8 and 1/4 steel for theatre rigging.

That being said, all you need is a pair of bolt cutters, and a good pair of bicepts, and it comes apart like butter....which is how you cut steel rope in the first place, just need good cutting blades (ours at work tend to be constantly chipped and worn).