Old 08-08-15, 08:54 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I just use the mini platform for small things that I want to quickly stash or for quick access. I leave that rack on when I get home, but take the low riders off when I get home. The low riders are a bigger hassle for putting a bike in bike rack, etc., but he mini rack weighs very little and does not get in the way.

Mini rack is a bit short to use for much. The Nashbar one measures about 8.75 inches long, so it is not going to hold a lot. I leave a couple Velcro straps strapped on it for when I want to use it. It is a handy place to stash rain gear, a spare water bottle or two, but too short to put a rack top bag on. My sleeping bags are a bit bigger than I would want to use on that mini platform, rolled up air mattress would be the ideal size and shape but if I did not carry my sleeping bag in a water proof pannier, I would want to put it in a dry bag and I think the rack would be too small to easily lash a dry bag of that size onto it.
So I guess all the platform-only racks are the mini-style? I suppose that makers keep the length short so folks don't overload it. Perhaps one could make an extension out of billet aluminum & bolt it on to allow for carrying bulky but light things.