View Single Post
Old 08-28-15, 07:04 AM
MulliganAl

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Tarmac with Mavic ES wheels, 2009 Specialized Hardrock, 2014 Rivendell Sam Hillborne

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Bar end shifter and mustache question

I recently acquired a beautiful Rivendell with, according to the seller, only 150 miles on it; the bike looks brand spanking new. But while looking over the setup I'm discovering some things that make me wonder if there was even that much mileage put on the bike.

First the brake pads were too large for the wheels he put on so I purchased a set of Kool-Stop Thinline pads to give the Paul Racer center pulls more clearance. Then the brakes were not adjusted correctly so I've been fiddling with those to get them right and it looks like the springs were reversed, I'm guessing they are different colors for a reason. I also noticed that the bar end shifter cables seemed a bit short, but I see that the cables are under the handlebar's bar tape all the way to the stem clamp, so I was wondering if this is the correct way to run bar end shifter cables or should they stop at some point giving more slack to the cables?