View Single Post
Old 08-28-15, 08:07 AM
Tim_Iowa

Bikes: 1997 Rivendell Road Standard 650b conversion (tourer), 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10 (gravel/tour), 2013 Foundry Auger disc (CX/gravel), 2016 Cannondale Fat CAAD 2 (MTB/winter), 2011 Cannondale Flash 29er Lefty (trail MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MulliganAl View Post
I recently acquired a beautiful Rivendell
Congrats! I bought a 97 Rivendell Road Standard a couple years ago with many, many more miles on it, but it's still an excellent frame.

What model did you buy?

RE: brake pads - Yes, the front Paul Racer brakes don't have much clearance when open. I have to partially deflate my 38 mm tires. KS Thinlines help, KS Cross pads are even better because they're short enough that they don't hit the fork blades. I'm not sure what you are talking about regarding springs and different colors. Paul Comp should have a diagram somewhere.

Re: Cables - Are you asking if they're too short? Could you show a picture of the shifter cables in question?

Or are you just concerned about running the cables under the tape? Some folks let them hang free without going under the tape at all, other folks wrap the first 6 inches or so in the grip area, and let the rest run free, and other folks tape them all the way to the stem. Any method is fine IF it leaves enough housing to keep from binding.