Old 10-15-15, 12:39 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by calimtb
Then I refer back to all of the threads and posts from bikeforum members who note that a heavier, less expensive bike is faster. :-)

Seriously, I'm seeing quite a few posts like this. In your case, as an owner of a 12 lb. bike, it seems you would prefer a more comfortable bike with less stiffness. In the hi-ten thread, someone says they like their hi ten bike more than a far lighter cromoly bike. And then there is the bikesdirect vs. $4K cannondale comparison, where the $400 bikesdirect bike is faster.

There are just too many examples of this to ignore.

My own bike, I preferred to a "racing bike" which was easily a lb or two lighter at the same price point. I found the endurance geometry not only more comfortable but far better for power transfer.

I'm still tempted to buy lighter wheels, but am skeptical of performance gains after reading these various threads.

I can state for a fact that I saw a huge performance gain when swapping out tires from stock to high performance michelins.
Okay, but don't forget that the weight reduction is one aspect if the new bike I really do appreciate. If it were just a little softer riding, it would be close to perfect.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...