Old 10-24-15, 07:48 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by mconlonx
No.

If I wanted something with a wiring harness, I'd get a scooter or a motorcycle.

I was the tech guy at our shop for Trek's ill-fated Ride+ bikes based on BionX systems and after dealing with the few that we sold, am extremely gunshy about e-bikes.

I like not having to update firmware on my bike. I like not having issues I can't deal with on the side of the road. I like not having to recharge my bike or worry about range/energy use beyond what I know about my abilities and stamina. I like non-e-bikes for their simplicity. I like not having to have a multimeter in my bicycle tools toolbox. I like hubs with relatively even flange spoke hole spacing, and spokes I have a decent chance of finding in stock at a shop. There are enough systems to deal with on regular bikes, I don't need more which will break and/or require maintenance -- e-bikes have three additional systems: motor, battery, controller. I can think of better things on which to spend money than a replacement battery, if one is even available when needed. I like bikes where I don't have to deal with a PC connection, PC issues, software installs and updates.
All good points... Simplicity is better... But, what if having some assistance keeps you riding? What if having some assistance gets you riding...? My wife had a regular bike for 3 years, put about 350Km on it over the 3 years total. I bought her another bike but with an assist set-up, she put 1,200Km on it last year and about 1,100\Km on it this year... Seems like a win/win to me... And yes, I check up on her from time to time to see how much battery power she is using and... Guess what, most of those KMs are pedal power, not E-assist KMs. You just need to have the "right" set up and want to work with it... She had the E-Assist bike for 2 years 2,300Km and it has never been in the shop, I had my E-Assist bike for 4 years 8,500Km and it has been in the shop once... Fixed under warranty.

Last edited by 350htrr; 10-24-15 at 07:56 PM.