Old 10-26-15, 08:58 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13
despite what Wabi say, Steel is Steel as in on the bike nobody can tell the difference between 4130 chromo and higher end expensive stuff. My Soma Smoothie build was lighter than their complete bike without even trying. I built it with 5800 and Vuelta wheels and grand total cost me $1300. Yes there are slight differences in different types of steel, the main being weight. Re-reading the Wabi site they are claiming sub 4 lbs for their frame AND carbon/alum fork so that is not bad and yes it is less then Ritchey or Gunnar. I'm going to guess the frame only isaround 3 lbs 3 oz which puts it almost near Wraith and Rodriguez frames. Swap out the fork for full carbon and build it up it right and it could be 16 lbs or less
If that is true, I take it all back. If the frame is in the low 3s, then the Spirit tubing is doing its job. Somebody posted the frame was 4 lb. These days that means just the frame usually.

I see it now. Yes, that is impressive. 3.9 lb for the frame AND fork. And the fork must be heavy with that aluminum steerer. And IMO that is worth $1,100. But that kind of frame does deserve better components.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...

Last edited by rpenmanparker; 10-26-15 at 09:02 AM.