View Single Post
Old 11-04-15, 10:41 AM
Wrightjoseph

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old Road Bike Build

So I have this idea. I have an older Bianchi road bike that I don't ride much any more. I was drinking beer in the garage the other day and noticed 2 things. The frame/fork have what look to me to be rack mounts and there appears to be ample tire clearance. I am wondering if I can build this bike into a touring/cyclocross/gravel bike combo? My intended use would be 1-2 night road tours, 1-2 cyclocross races a year (never done one yet), lots of gravel/dirt road riding (I live in Colorado, thinking fall river road in RMNP). I've done some basic google research and the following is what I think needs to be done.

Cockpit - New bars, I'm going to stick with drop bars. I like the drop bars that are flat on the top. Should I stick with a quill stem or use a threaded adapter?

Wheels - New (to me, used is fine) wheelset, over 30 spoke count? MTB hub? Maybe 2 sets of tires. 1 for road touring and 1 for off road/cyclocross.

Brakes - Long reach caliper brakes. Looks like Shimano and Tektro sell new ones for decent prices. Anyone better than the other?

Crankset - Triple ring at least 22 for the small ring, do I want a MTB crankset for this? What do I need to know about bottom brackets?

Shifting - STI shifters, MTB long cage RD, FD (will I need a road FD to work with the STI sifters?) Thinking 10 speed. 36 t Cassette? Should I go bigger?

Racks - buy racks? Anything else I need to know?

Will I need to expand the rear hub size for a 10 speed hub? Bike has 6 speed now. Rough measure has the rear wheel gap at 127mm.

Anything else I should think of? Is this doable?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_3907.jpg (56.3 KB, 77 views)
IMG_3908.jpg (95.4 KB, 53 views)
IMG_3909.jpg (91.3 KB, 53 views)
IMG_3910.jpg (89.4 KB, 51 views)
IMG_3911.jpg (90.2 KB, 51 views)