Old 11-08-15, 07:39 PM
LoriRose

Bikes: '90 Bianchi Grizzly, '91 Look mi70, '99 RM Hammer Race

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tim_Iowa
@LoriRose -- Nicely bought, considering someone spent $1k (USD) on it when it was new (which is roughly $2500 in 2015 money). I picked up an '88 Schwinn KOM ($1k new) in worse shape than that for $75, and I consider it a steal (full Tange Prestige frame and full XT group).

Like I said, vintage Bianchi catalogs for North America don't seem to be available online, so I can't give you more specific information. You'll have to go off the date codes on the Shimano stuff.

Bikepedia (which starts with 1993 models) seems to think that the Grizzly was lugged steel up through 1996. Are you sure yours isn't lugged at all? Even partially? Check the bottom bracket.

Since it's an extra-small frame, it may have some quirks compared to the larger frames.

For example, lugs work with a tight set of angles, and an extra-small frame may have angles outside that range. And they would have needed to custom file the head lugs down to fit on such a short head tube. Therefore, it may have been tig welded or fillet brazed for some of the joints. (Tig welding leaves "toothpaste" weld marks, where fillets are smooth.)

Likewise, I've never seen another Grizzly with U-brakes on the seat stays; they seem to have chainstay U-brakes or cantilevers on the seat stay. Possibly another quirk of an extra-small frame? U-brakes don't have as high of a straddle cable, so maybe they work better on that frame?
I've got almost certain confirmation that it's a '90 via another BF member. He provided me with a list of specs which all seem to match.

MSL was $922 CDN. The frame is Tange Infinity with hi-tensile steel in the rear triangle. The forks are listed as CrMo. Derailleurs, shifters, brakes, crankset and pedals are all listed as Deore LX. The rims and tires were sourced from Ritchey. The headset should a Tioga Avenger while the saddle was an Avocet R-20. The seat post was listed as Kalloy while the bars and stems were from HL.
He said that the Canadian models had Deore LX as opposed to the US models which had suntour components so this was most certainly throwing me off the hunt.

I've been cleaning, tuning and polishing her up all day! The frame is in great shape save for a small dent on the top tube and a bunch of paint blemishes that look like dings from rocks. It looks like the bike was well-used but also well-maintained, at least until recently. I am very happy with my purchase and look forward to getting her ready for winter!