Old 11-18-15, 01:07 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
Originally Posted by plodclunker
Interesting Juvela. Do your Uragos have very short headset stacks?? And what is the make of your headsets?
The more pics of Uragos I look at the more I think my frame is one. And the serial number style matches: 4 digits and underneath a U and two more digits. The fact that yours has the same "Bertin style" seat stay caps and presumably from 1960....
Does your confirmed Urago 1957 have the same type of serial number??
checked pillar size on the example here and found it to be 26.2.

with respect to questions regarding fork, steerer length and headset -

fork original to machine.

head not altered post manufacture.

fork not altered, steerer not shortened.

checked my 1957 urago. it is fitted with what looks at first glance like a typical ordinary quality french headset, similar to lightrace. locknut is 32mm octagonal. has the typical french toothed lock washer in an off-black oxide finish. upon closer examination fittings appear quite slender/diminutive. upper stack measures 16mm and lower 14mm for a total stack height of 30mm. bicycle built with beborex roller-cam sidepull brakes so no need for brake hanger space. possible small stack height achieved with aid of 1/8" balls. for example, the campag-bianchi integral headset used 1/8" and iirc there were some british sets with floating u-races which also used 1/8". no markings of any kind on hs, alas.

if you have access to a sutherland manual you can check the stack height column in the headset section to see what sets have been made with this dimension.

with respect to serial number -

checked the 1957 bicycle and it only has a number stamped into the shell by a licensing agency. no serial on shell, dropouts, seat tube, etc. evidently built without one. dropouts are nervex stamped sheet without hanger.

interestingly, member VintageRide's 1952 urago has a serial number similar to your frame -

http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...de-france.html

scroll down to message nr. nine to see photo.

you also might like to see this frameset dated 1966:

http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...-my-urago.html

scroll down to message nr. nine for detail photos.

Last edited by juvela; 11-18-15 at 04:07 PM. Reason: addition