Old 12-09-15, 09:12 AM
rifraf

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Extrawheel Trailer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V
I ride 35-50 miles a day. The average overall time of my rides are from 3 to 4.5 hours, depending on how long I take for breaks. I have my phone optimized for battery life and I don't have any apps running in the background. I use an RFLKT to display my ride data so the screen is never on while I ride. My battery consumption is right at 10% loss per hour. I recently completed a ride across Florida with the longest ride being 85 miles and did not recharge the phone until I got to my hotel room. If you're only getting an hour out of your phone, you're doing something very wrong.

As for phone mounts, the Zixtro mount I use is mounted on my aerobars. I have had several crashes and the phone was never damaged or knocked out of it's case.
Hi,
excuse my ignorance but whats RFLKT?

I've a garmin Edge 800 but struggle to see the map detail I imagine due to failing eyesight.

I was thinking about the Edge 1000 but it sounds like its still very buggy.

I've an iPhone 5s I take with me when I tour and keep it charged via my dynohub/E-werk/cache battery combo.

The idea of utilising the phone instead and doing away with the Edge 800 is interesting to me.

My charging system can keep on top of both on tour although the phone requires many more miles than the garmin to charge.

I'll follow the thread with interest as I'm currently stuck with either upgrading to a iPhone 6s+ for the larger screen or grabbing an iPad mini.

I've been hauling my Macbook air with me but I've been thinking the mini attractive due to its size and lack of weight as well as being able to fit inside my handlebar bag.
Both the mini and the 6s+ look to be an attractive small factor solution to blogging and taking pics of my journeys although I still bring a dslr in my trailer.

I've been humming and haaing for some months but can find as yet no obvious choice.

Last edited by rifraf; 12-09-15 at 09:23 AM.