Old 12-10-15, 12:38 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_lha
Seems like a flawed concept. For one the screen will be partially obscured. Also I wouldn't trust 2 rubber bands to hold my iPhone when I'm barrelling down a ridge at 40mph. iPhone 6's real replacement cost is >$700. It's a false economy to get a cheap bike mount IMHO.
That's a lot of scratch. Of course, it might be a drop in the bucket depending why you need to replace it.

Recently I got hit - hard - by a car while I was doing hill repeats near my apartment. The car was going about 35 (driver's estimate) to 40 (mine) mph when it hit me. My stay at the hospital cost $19,000 and the ambulance ride was just shy of another thousand. Bike needs replacing, it was a Cervelo.

Had my phone in my pants pocket, near my right knee. Phone had no damage. My Garmin Edge was on my bike's stem, no damage to it either. Had a Garmin GPS watch on my left hand, it smacked pretty hard into the hood of the car that hit me, not even a scratch. (Sapphire.) I was sure my left arm was broken, so I'm pretty impressed with my watch for surviving.

I sat out in the rain a while before help arrived. Called 911. Also called Beth, she ran up the hill to me, brought what's left of my bike home, then met me in the ER and never left my side until they discharged me.

The absolute most important thing after the impact is that I was able to make two calls, to the police and to Beth. It was nice to have enough juice in the phone to call for a ride when the hospital finally released me the next day too.