Old 12-10-15, 04:38 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by practical
I pretty much agree with the "as hard as you can go for however long" philosophy to a point. But I find no virtue in attacking hills and I avoid them when I can. There are a lot of riders who love to ride the gaps and will do six gaps in a day. The climb up feeds their pride and ride down feeds their need for thrills. Good for them but I will never be in that class of cyclist nor do I aspire to. I say all of this to simply ask about the assumption that climbing hills faster is a worthwhile goal. I'm not saying it isn't for some, but it doesn't have to be; and so before worrying about gear ratios, power output and bmp, worry about whether or not you're having fun. Don't obsess over performance.
Originally Posted by chasm54
I'd say it is close to a definitive no. The lower gear, higher cadence route is likely to drive the hr even higher, so the most likely result is that the op would settle into a slightly more sustainable (aka slower) pace.

NTTAWWT
That is true when cruising. I'm not so sure about climbing. We aren't talking about fast cadences here but rather fast ENOUGH to make getting up the hill comfortably possible.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...