Old 01-04-16, 10:00 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider
there is truth to this--it's definitely possible to eat more protein than one can process at a time.

spreading out your protein will also affect satiety throughout a day and can lead to eating less (or less over-eating).

i worked with someone on nutrition who responded really well to the notion that eating too much of a good thing can actually be wasting food if their body is not going to take full advantage of it. this person would never let food spoil or would not throw food away...but they didn't realize that huge amounts of protein in one sitting can amount to throwing the food away. was an interesting perspective.
I think it is possible to waste expensive protein by taking too much at once. However, I don't think a huge protein bolus is equivalent to "throwing away food." Once the protein requirements are met and/or the rate of protein uptake is maxed out the excess protein is deaminated or consumed by gut flora. So you still get most of the calories just in the form of metabolic byproducts and bacteria crap (which may or may not be good for you depending on your microbiome).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deamination