Thread: Eating status
View Single Post
Old 01-06-16, 07:10 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by shovelhd
I'm old. That said, after each race, I had a recovery shake with about 35g of protein within an hour after the finish. It definitely helped with DOMS. My race weight was 65kg.
Nothing after workouts?

It sounds like you were not concerned about carb content?

There may well be a different ideal for different cyclists, based on age, gender, and variability in physiology. It's interesting when you look at a lot of these studies to see what their endpoint is. They might compare a drink to no drink and then look two hours later at which drink resulted in greater glycogen deposition in muscle. But in a post-workout scenario, the amt of glycogen 24 hours later would be more relevant. But even that does not speak to any kind of performance-outcome, for example was the drink group of cyclists better able to complete the next workout than the non-drink group of cyclists?

There are plenty of smart people in the world of cycling and I'll bet there are more relevant studies out there. It would just take a lit search that I don't really have time for to make sense of it. And quite honestly, someone smart in the field of exercise physiology would do a far better job than me weeding out the flawed papers and focusing on the gems.