View Single Post
Old 01-23-16, 11:10 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
Measure however you usually measure your bikes. Other than Cannonades, I measure all frames the same way (center to top).

Univega was never a Japanese brand. They were a marketing company from the USA, that had bikes made in Japan, Taiwan, and more. A lot of people ass-u-me that all vintage Univegas were made in Japan by Miyata. This is not true.
It's not true overall, but it was true up until the early to mid 80s or so, when they were IIRC nearly all made by Miyata, with a few exceptions.

Originally Posted by wrk101
Derby bought the Univega brand name in 1996 and slapped it on whatever bikes they wanted. Probably made by Raleigh USA, who they also owned at the time. Note, "assembled in USA" means very little. One could argue that all the made in China bikes that Walmart sells are "assembled in the USA". This bike is certainly A LOT better than a Walmart bike and is a nice model. I bought a similar bike that was a Mongoose. All Campy drive train, it was a really nice bike. I morphed the parts into a Trek, as buyers do not respond to the Mongoose name.
Mongoose was very desirable about 15 to 20 years before, when every kid wanted a nickel Mongoose BMX bike. I had one... They did not adapt the brand well as the market changed.

Yeah, assembled in USA is meaningless. I meant it tongue in cheek.