Old 01-25-16, 12:12 PM
vinnyvincent

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bakes1
after a short time was averaging around 17 mph. I was on a new aluminum road bike though so if you are on something naturally slower like a mountain or hybrid with bigger tires you should expect to be a bit slower.
This is exactly where I want to be. I think I would feel accomplished if I could up my average to 17mph. About how long did that take you?
I'm on a flat bar road bike with 28c tires, so it's pretty quick but you really do start feeling some wind resistance once I get it to around 16mph. I still feel like I should be able to average 17mph on it though

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Probably.

The mistake most folks who wanting to go faster make is doing the same workout day after day. You need hard days to break your body down followed by easy days to allow it to build itself back up. Most riders don't try hard enough on the hard days and go too hard on the easy days.
That's a really good point. I think you may be spot on with that. I notice my 14mph days are always after I've gotten in two days off. I also notice that I'm going for a high average speed every ride instead of taking it easy some days. I will make it a point to vary my intensity more.

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
I see most roadies riding on the hoods with straight elbows. It's a comfortable position, I get it. But if your goal is to ride at a faster pace, get down on the hooks and get your shoulders down.

I find it easier to spin at high speeds (I'm not a masher). Interestingly, Lisa (my better half) started working with Zwift this winter and it's helped her focus on cadence; she's noticing differences right away. But this will challenge your heart and lungs to get stronger, spinning is cardio intensive.
The problem is it's a flat bar road bike. I'm already thinking about the possibility of purchasing a road bike and using it for group rides and keeping the flat bar for everyday riding, since I didn't pay much for it.