bakes1
Banned

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Le Champion lilac, 2015 Specialized Secteur Elite

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by vinnyvincent
This is exactly where I want to be. I think I would feel accomplished if I could up my average to 17mph. About how long did that take you?
I'm on a flat bar road bike with 28c tires, so it's pretty quick but you really do start feeling some wind resistance once I get it to around 16mph. I still feel like I should be able to average 17mph on it though

That's a really good point. I think you may be spot on with that. I notice my 14mph days are always after I've gotten in two days off. I also notice that I'm going for a high average speed every ride instead of taking it easy some days. I will make it a point to vary my intensity more.

The problem is it's a flat bar road bike. I'm already thinking about the possibility of purchasing a road bike and using it for group rides and keeping the flat bar for everyday riding, since I didn't pay much for it.
Riding 5-6 days a week and averaging about 15-20 miles per ride I got to an average speed of around 17 mph after about 10 weeks. But I was pushing pretty hard all the way on every ride and like I said I sprinkled in some 25 - 30 milers.
6 months later though I only average just over 18 mph so I definitely mini peaked early I would guess.