Old 01-26-16, 01:53 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Well, that'll work; but at 14 mph, aero isn't what's holding him back. What he really needs is to get stronger.

I'd recommend sprint intervals. Go ALL OUT for 30 seconds, then coast/pedal easy for a minute or two until you're recovered and repeat.
Personally, I think you should have plenty (like six months worth) of miles behind you before you start working on intervals. Otherwise you risk putting the cart before the horse.

I agree it isn't aerodynamics holding him back. It sounds like his fastest days come after rest days and his slowest days come after fast days; he needs to build fitness, and probably more time for recovery.

Originally Posted by vinnyvincent
This sounds like it would work really well. I'm definitely going to try this for a month starting tomorrow. I think right now if I go all out I could probably sustain 20mph+/- for 30-60 seconds, so if I got to where I could maintain something like that for any length of time that would be amazing.
They're called HIIT or High Intensity Interval Training, and not for nothing. You should not be doing high intensity every day for a month. If you're doing intervals, you should be doing occasional rest days. You're going to burn out otherwise.