View Single Post
Old 02-28-16, 03:33 PM
topslop1

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks for all of the replies and information. After putting a 90cm stem on the bike and moving the seat slightly forward I did a 28 mile ride today. I felt pretty good, initial thoughts are seat should come back a bit to its original position and an 80cm stem might be better. There's still that slight stretch. I feel good in the drops so I don't think this is a flexibility issue. I'm in OK shape at 6'1.5'' and 205lbs (sure I could lose 10lbs, but I'm fairly muscular), I've always been fairly flexible so as to take some of the confusion out of folks minds of how 'flexible' I am.

Here's the results: The front of my right knee felt pinched and was not at all having it around the last 8 miles or so. In taking KOPS into consideration I believe that my knee may be slightly more forward than center of foot. I will push the seat back a tad (to its original position) and perhaps angle the stem up a bit.

I figure at this point since I am serious enough about riding (I had the epiphany today that I think I'm going to be doing this a hell of a lot more and for a good future) that I will put $150 to a fit.. as some may have mentioned, I might be lighting the extra $75 dollars on fire to go from a basic $75 fit to the 'pro' fit at $150. So be it, at least they will dedicate another hour to check out how I actually push the pedals and look at my cleats. This as well as whatever measurements are taken can all be 'saved information' for down the road.

I figure at the very least this fitting will do 1 of 2 things: fit me to my bike OR give me confirmation that a 56 is the better bet. Regardless of which happens I will not be buying a new-bicycle at that shop or any other. I picked this bike up for $600 on craigslist and if it happens to be too big I will sell it for most likely near the same or possibly more, and then I will hunt for a used 56 (which there are MANY more available to choose from). I do not have a $2,500-$3000 out of pocket for another new bike.. and that's the level that I would be looking at for another (Shimano 105 or up and possibly carbon).. which can be found on craigslist for $1000-$1200.

I could spend a few more weekends dialing the fit in on my own - sure, but to expedite it I think that's my reasoning behind going to a shop. I don't want to change my seat height trying to fit my knee problem and then find out next weekend when I can get a ride in that my hips are rocking or some other bit has been messed up.

Last edited by topslop1; 02-28-16 at 03:42 PM.