View Single Post
Old 04-02-16, 11:14 AM
Hot Potato

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thinking a hardtail would be best?

50 plus year old, currently out of shape and overweight because of a crappy soul destroying job, but I quit my job and moving to Scottsdale, Az. I Used to road cycle 25 to 50 miles at a time at moderate speeds, 16 to 24 mph, with a few longer charity rides here and there up to 4 years ago. I plan on using my road and cyclocross bikes in the Scottsdale area to regain some fitness that I have lost in the last 4 years. I also like to hike. Everytime I hike the desert I see mountain bike riders on the same trails. Hmmm. A mountain bike seems to be in my future for those Phoenix area trails.

So, overall I am not a powerful rider, even when I get some miles of fitness behind me. I don't like to go fast, even on the road. If I am on a road descent, I prefer to stay under 30 mph. I don't see myself bombing down the rocky desert trails. I see myself using the ascents as challenges and exercise, then more or less picking my way back down. Its for exercise and fun, and will not be about speed. I am a lousy climber even on the road, but used to use rolling hill road terrain to increase fitness. I could go up short steep hills that charity riders younger than me had to walk, but compared to regular club road riders (enthusiasts) I am weak. I expect to remain on easy and moderate single track trails with some hills (flat stuff and mixed gravel/ dirt/ pavement trails will get the cyclocross bike).

That crappy soul destroying job did pay well, so my budget is large, but I would prefer under $3000. 2K or less would be even better. I would upgrade to high end later if for some reason mountain biking became the best thing I ever tried. Based on my perceived abilities and likely use, I figure a hardtail would be best? I also figure that in that price range, a hardtail would come rather nicely equiped? If full suspension would make someone who doesn't care about speed uphill or down better able to ride rocky desert trails with confidence, then I am good with that too. What do you think?