View Single Post
Old 04-08-16, 12:04 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by FrankHudson
Hypno Toad, I've been watching the blizzardy snow out the window at work today too, but I'm telling myself it'll be nicer by the time I get off work. Won't be a long old-man's ride for me today, and I have stuff I want to do with my family.

I remember those slush-ice-ball things from past winters when I was a regular winter commuter. Takes just the right conditions, but the stuff will stick like glue.
I swear, there was no snow in the forecast. I planned to take my classic steel frame road bike out today, but that's clearly not happening to the cleanest/nicest bike in my collection!

The funny thing with the ice-balls, they'd ring on the frame. The rear wheel is wide enough and the chain stay is close enough that these ice chunks would make this odd noise. It took me a few miles to figure out what was making that noise. And shockingly, the ice didn't just break up when it hit the frame. I expect this has happened past winters, but my old 26er had more clearance and it was really that ringing noise that got me to take a closer look today.