Old 04-11-16, 06:43 PM
davidonabike

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domone 4.5c

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Derailleur hangers and ****ty gear changing post high end bike shop tune up

So I spent the weekend scratching my head as to why I couldn't get shifting to function properly. Using Shimano rapid fire type shifters. Figured out it MUST be my derailleur hanger, as the indexing would not lineup properly no matter what.

I took it to the shop instead of buying a derailleur adjuster tool. They said said, yup, it's slightly misaligned. So I gave them $30 to bend and setup the rear derailleur. This was done at a very reputable shop in town.

On my ride home from work after the tuneup I am still experiencing a gear not wanting to switch, and poor slow shifting between gears, causing me to push the shifter halfway to another gear to get the gear to shift up. Maybe the bike switches fine when there is no force, but once there is force perhaps this problem occurs?

Any ideas? Last week I put on new cables, super cleaned up the cassette, crank, and put on a brand new chain.

Are my shifters just crappy and need replacing? They are no tier type stock shifters, but it's allegedly a simple ratchet type setup ,right? Do they slowly mechanically lose their index?