View Single Post
Old 05-05-16, 02:53 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by DGlenday
FB, many thanks for the reply. I have become careful about 'warming down' after rides, but the hacking still kicks in about 10 to 20 minutes after the ride. I'll try warming down a bit longer to see if it helps...

Your comments about allergens at home don't apply to my situation, as I usually drive to the start of a ride - and there are many different start locations, all over the county.

However a dose of albuterol 5 to 10 minutes from the end of the ride is a "blinding flash of the obvious", yet I hadn't thought of it. I always ride with an inhaler, and will definitely try that. Thanks for the idea.

The patterns that cause the attacks are pretty similar to many others in this thread: Cold, dry weather is worst, whereas I can often ride in warm humid weather and - as much as I hate the clammy heat - there's often no after effect at all. Maybe my answer is to move to Florida. (Now - I need my pulmonologist to convince my wife that I need to move for health reasons. )

I've tried the daily low dose inhaled steroid (Advair) - and I'm not convinced that it helps. I Googled "beta agonist inhaler" - and I think Albuterol is one of them..?

I think your move to Phoenix is the answer!
The steroids used in the daily low does inhalers and Albuterol are very similar. The difference seems to be that the former category is good for a continual effect while the Albuterol works better for short term requirements in individual situations. The mechanisms of action must be pretty similar though.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...