Thread: Posers
View Single Post
Old 05-10-16, 12:01 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels
Criticizing someone who purchases Rapha often (but not always) comes within the context of they paid too much for something (made a foolish decision, the person is not an educated shopper, etc.) and the company is often characterized as actively ripping people off selling them an image.

So yeah, my language was a little strong, but the sentiment is still there.

Personally, I like high end stuff but can't generally afford it at full price. This is why sales exist. But at the same time, Performance brand bibs do the job and I understand if people don't see the value in buying anything more expensive than that. So I will pay more, even at sale price, and people will say "look at that idiot poseur wearing Rapha" while I smile and wave at them in their PrimalWear Froot Loops Jersey and think, "Hey, I LOVE Froot Loops!"
I will stipulate that no one makes better cycling clothing than Rapha. I will also contend that a few other companies make cycling clothing just as good as Rapha does. I further contend that at least some of those competitors charge less than Rapha. My only purpose is to point out that even those folks who insist on that level of style, perfornance, and/or durability can obtain it more cheaply than by buying Rapha. And if we talk sales, we have to compare apples to apples, i.e. sales by all such purveyors.

If you are making the best goods you know how to, and they are still not better than your competitors' products, how do you distinguish your brand? How do you make it seem even better than it already is. One of the most effective ways has always been to simply charge more than the other guy. It works every time.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...