Old 05-12-16, 08:33 AM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
I think that the lion has little real significance other than someone, possibly Bill Recht (money man and one of the characters in the California Masi saga), or maybe even Mario Confente. The name Medici was supposedly just to show the Italian influence from the link to Masi, through Confente. It looks like a Flandrian lion to me, and that would indicate a Belgian link. None there. Where the World championship rings come in is a mystery to me, also. Later years has a more ornate Medici on the down tube, it had stars and arcs of WC color bars as part of it.

There is a member here, smontanaro I want to say, that is very knowledgeable about Medici, I had hoped he would comment on my bike, and give some background about Medici and its history. Here is a link to another Medici thread that I used as a base for reference:http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...ro-strada.html

If you haven't read the CR email battle royale, Medici Bicycles ~ Brian Baylis Remembers or WW3 as it was called there, that the late Brian Bayliss and Jim Cunningham took part in, you need to do so. Just have plenty of time and some aspirin, or Tylenol. It will try you as it is long, and Brian has a stilted writing style, and he wasn't grammar or spelling oriented. I also found a Medici serial number registry, https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1meZAfHHOwCHnWe3Ndeua0jlBVbZ3GNBBfWu7j1nmc58/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=0 But I have no idea how to contribute to this list.

I am still looking for information about this marque, and I have added the head badge and the frame, as well as getting the make in the list of builders, at Velobase. VeloBase.com - View Head Badge Any information about Medici will be greatly appreciated.

Bill
Great info Bill. I expect you are correct as a Flandrian Lion. Being a kid I probably associated with the military and he was stationed in Europe so that makes sense with the Steins.

Cool that you could plug that up on Velobase. Such a great site.