View Single Post
Old 05-23-16, 07:12 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Vintage versus New... Brooks Proofide

I just happened to get all three of my tins of Brooks Proofide in one place this morning, so I took a couple photos to celebrate the occasion.

The biggest tin, I don't know how old it is, I've had it since 1983 or so, having found it in the saddle bag of a Raleigh Sports that came into the bike shop as a trade-in. It's probably from about 1970. Printed on the edge are the words "MINIMUM NETT WEIGHT 2 OZS"

The little tin, I don't know how old that is either. It came with a ruined Brooks saddle I bought for the frame. I'd guess it's from about 2000. Printed on the edge are the words "MADE IN ENGLAND. MINIMUM NETT WEIGHT 2 OZS (56 GRAMMES)

The medium tin, I got it last year. It's probably from 2015. There is no printing on the edge, but you can see where it says "Net Weight 40g."

I can't check those weights; the first two are pretty well empty. But it's pretty bizarre, I think, that the biggest tin and the littlest were stated to contain the same amount.

Anyway, the point is, Brooks has evidently changed the recipe. Does anyone know why? Do they serve the same purpose? How is the new version better?

The instructions on the oldest tin, in case you can't read them, are as follows:
Originally Posted by printing on the tin
For Conditioning, Preserving,
Waterproofing Saddles and
other leather articles. Apply
lightly, using Soft Cloth to
finished side of leather, allow
dressing to permeate until dry,
then polish. If leather is wet,
apply and allow to dry naturally.
In contrast, the current instructions on Brooks' website are as follows:
Originally Posted by URL="http://www.brooksengland.com/catalogue-and-shop/spareparts/maintenance+products/Proofide+40g+Tin/"
A new saddle should be treated with Brooks Proofide leather
dressing to help assist the ‘breaking-in’ process. Proofide
keeps the leather supple as it is specially formulated from
natural ingredients to condition, preserve and shower
proof your saddle. Proofide is the only substance that should
be used to care for your Brooks Leather Saddle.
Apply a little Proofide to the finished side of the leather.
Allow the Proofide to permeate until dry and then polish off.
Proofide should be used several times during the ‘breaking-in’
period and every 3-6 months thereafter. On bicycles not fitted
with mudguards, an initial application to the underside of
the saddle will be beneficial, this needs not to be polished
off. The leather gets its colour during the tanning process and it
is possible, therefore, that some colour residues will remain. It
is recommended to polish the saddle with a soft cloth before first
use.
I find it interesting that the new stuff is recommended for "breaking in" the saddle, while the old stuff was not. For what it's worth, I wholeheartedly reject the notion that this stuff should be used for "breaking in" a saddle.

Last edited by rhm; 05-23-16 at 08:56 AM.