Old 05-23-16, 10:13 AM
mtseymour

Bikes: 2022 Calfee Tetra, 2023 Giant TCR

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by oldacura
I have read that "Synchroshift" is available for the XTR version of Di2 - but not for the road versions. Is this true? If so, does anyone know why? I would think this would be a feature that could significantly smooth out the shifting process.

Also, based on recommendations from AKExpress, I have ordered new chainring sets from Praxis: I got one set at 52tx36t and one set at 50tx34t. In one case we would give up a bit of bottom end & the other would give up a bit of top end. I have not yet installed either.

However, even with our ring span within the Shimano recommendation of 16t max, I think it will still be a big jump from big to small (or the reverse). Have others here developed a technique to make this jump smoother? Our old bike was a 54t - 44t jump. I had become accustomed to this smaller jump.
There are several reasons why "Syncroshift" is not available on Di2. With 2 vs 3 chainrings, it's harder for Di2 to get into a bad gear combo. For road racing, there's also a tactical advantage to shift the front and rear gear independently (ie. w/o Synchroshift). For instance, I may shift to my big ring (w significant gear jump) to launch an attack or to bridge a gap. For mtn biking (racing or not), it's more important to be in the right gear because the terrain can change abruptly. For example, a steep descent may be followed by a steep climb with sketchy traction. Using the right gear in split seconds can mean the difference between walking or staying with the pack.

I agree with AKexpress' suggestion to try the 52-36 and 50-34 combos. They're popular for good reasons.

When we shift from 50 to 34, I will say "small ring" to my partner and she'll ease up. Depending on the terrain, I may also shift to a harder rear cog at the same time to make a smoother transition. BTW, one minor drawback to SRAM eTap is that it can't shift the front and rear gear simultaneously.