View Single Post
Old 05-24-16, 09:24 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Lag
If we are talking about a Brooks Pro, I think it is your butt that gets "broken in". Well, on saddles with thinner leather, the leather does move and soften a bit.
That is what people say! But since I've been recovering saddles I've learned that if I use the same leather on a B.72, and on a B.17 Standard, and on a Professional, and on a B.17 Narrow, the B.72 will be very soft, the B.17 Standard also pretty soft, the Professional a lot harder, and the Narrow very hard indeed. The width, not the thickness of the leather, determines the hardness.

Originally Posted by gearbasher
Well here are my three tins...
I never liked the one on the left. It never really was absorbed by the leather. It just sat there. The middle is my favorite. The one on the right gets absorbed too fast.
So we confirm, that they have changed their recipe over the years.

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I've read that the squishier B17s and the recent recommendation of Proofide as a break-in accelerant are both due to Selle Royal catering to newbie Brooks riders. It sure rings true to me, even if it isn't.
I think I read that as well. But I may have made it up myself and posted it, and then you read it there. I do believe it, for sure.