Old 06-14-16, 10:09 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Well no. But on a bicycle if I screw up royally I can literally "disappear" from travel lanes by turning 90* left or right and splitting lanes. Kind of like looking at a sheet of paper from the edge - it virtually disappears. And the default for this maneuver is to split lanes FACING traffic so you can plainly see the next gap between cars coming up AND maintain some rolling momentum. This looks incredibly dangerous to a bystander but it is truly nothing. It is sometimes even safer than splitting lanes with cars overtaking from behind.

Cars can't do this^^.

So if I were caught in a Zombie apocalypse and could just make myself disappear any time I wanted to, no one would make a movie out of that. It would be boring. Same with doing it on a bicycle. Nothing to it - at least in broad daylight. I wouldn't want to do that after dark. That would be a little too much invisibility for me.
No, but cars who had the right of way can panic trying to avoid killing you and hit others.

The laws of the road exist for a reason, and that reason is generally that sensible people have come up with what is realistically safe, because when you leave the judgement to individuals, that judgement goes south in a hurry. I don't particularly like the fact that most red lights near me are on their normal cycle at 2am, some of which leave me sitting there for minutes, I can safely ignore them at that time, but I don't, because the second the traffic laws become about what a person feels they can do safely, is the second we start to have serious issues on the roads.