Old 07-16-16, 07:43 PM
GravelMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Update:

I considered the options and with no clear advantage of one over the other, I ordered some Rock N Roll Nipple Cream and rebuilt the problem wheel with new nipples (just to save the time of cleaning and drying the old ones which I saved and soaked in mineral spirits to remove any traces of the anti-seize). I cleaned each spoke end with mineral spirits and rebuilt the wheel to 115 kgf on the DS which came out to about 74 kgf NDS. I talked to a couple of wheelbuilders and company reps and this was about the max they recommended for my hub, spoke, rim combo. A few of those I spoke with suggested that the anti-seize probably works fine at higher tensions but could be part of the problem on the low tension side.

Well, the wheel is trued and tensioned and was taken for a quick spin this afternoon. Tomorrow I'll take it on a 50+ mile hill ride known for some rough roads. We'll see if the problem is solved within a few weeks.

I know the Nipple Cream is way more expensive ounce per ounce than the linseed oil, but even at $12 for a one-ounce bottle, when I only build about a wheelset a year, this will last me a decade.

Last edited by GravelMN; 07-16-16 at 07:48 PM.