Old 07-16-16, 10:25 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
What constitutes a full recovery? Back to where you were before the accident or able to do everything you did before if slightly diminished?

I am 62 now, and six years ago I think it was I was attacked by pit bull type dogs resulting in a sever femur break, open wound, cracked hip and damaged knee. Plus a lot of bruises, scrapes, injured shoulder, dog bite and a lawsuit (and I won). I recovered, most would say fully, but I sometimes limp when I first standup, the leg is sore sometimes, I am scared of dogs (especially unknown dogs) now. There was also a small stroke and three months lost work. I was running 18 miles a week, now I do the stair stepper/elliptical instead.

My swim times for a mile never recovered fully, my average riding speeds never came back either. Is it because it took me a full year to recover (bones and stroke) and it is simply age? I think not entirely. There was a permanent loss. I was and am still very fit and in general durable goods. Older people may find significant loss though considered fully recovered, some people are just not as durable as others.

Last week I took a fall on my MTB in front of my house. I got some gravel rash on my elbow, a little sore arm and hip, never really slowed me down. So I guess I fully recovered from that in about 24 hours.

Last edited by Loose Chain; 07-16-16 at 10:35 PM.