View Single Post
Old 09-19-16, 09:37 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Cheese Head
I will be doing a supported group ride of the GAP starting in Cumberland and riding to Pittsburg. We will be riding the first weekend of October doing the ride in three segments (3 consecutive days).

So I have a few questions for those of you that are familiar with the GAP.

1. I plan to take my Jamis Super Nova which currently has Continental Touring Plus 28mm tires. I see most recommend something at least 32mm. Should I consider jumping up a size or two in width? If so is there a better suited tire for the trail than the touring plus that won't break the bank? I need to ad that I am also a clydesdale at 250lb.

Any insight from your experiences would be greatly welcomed!
What model year is your Supernova? Most likely a 700x35 would fit. A larger tire will be more stable and provide more flotation over soft gravel. You will also have greater ride comfort with a larger tire with approximately 75 psi than a 700x28 at 100 psi. At 250 lbs, a 700x28 is not going to be recommended.

These tires all have some type of tread or texture at the tire center. However, the construction and rubber compound provide for fast and supple performance on firm gravel.

X'PLOR USH | Clement Cycling, Cyclocross Tires, Adventure Tires, Mountain Bike Tires, Road Bike Tires

continental bicycle Sport CONTACT II

When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 09-19-16 at 09:45 AM.