Old 10-17-16, 06:45 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 794 Posts
Originally Posted by jonc123
If you are using the inserts, I would order extra from Ortlieb or Wayne. I took the panniers off my bike and saw one of the inserts laying on the ground. When I get around to it, I may get some of the clear tubing and try that out around the rack. As it is now, I shim the rack with some electrical tape to make the fit tighter.

I also put a piece of electrical tape between the hook and the track it slides on; mine had a bit of play in it. That's probably my only problem with the bags, seems as though Ortlieb bags would fit the Tubus racks perfectly. Maybe they leave things loose in case you get a bunch of dirt in them?

Do you know the exact size of tubing you are using & where did you get it?

As far as the topic of this thread, I like running 4 panniers. I keep one of the front bags just for smelly items such as toothpaste, sunscreen and food. That way I can hang that bag up in a tree or somewhere to keep the critters out of my tent and the smells out of the other 3 bags.
I strongly suspect it wasnt inserted properly, or that the little plastic tab got damaged when you put it in. I"ve used the inserts for years now and they stay in very solidly---now this touches on the whole issue of putting them in and taking them out--you really have to be careful and think it through as you do it, especially for removal.
There really is a special technique that works, but it is very easy to force things the wrong way--and this also touches on the rather strong prying method with a flathead screwdriver to get them out WHILE holding the release thingee all the way open to allow you to actually move the things sideways.

I've gotten good at it now, but can completely see how it would be very easy to damage the plastic tab that keeps them in place, and I am sure many people have done this.

I too am playing with removing the tabs and doing the tubing technique, in fact, I should start a thread on just this so that it is easily found by others, tips would be a big help and I find Ortlieb doesnt go out of their way to make it clear how to easily and safely remove and install.

I am certain to them, with their Germanic engineering type minds, its obvious, but they really could do with some better explained visual methods (as I understand they want their instructions not to rely on written words so they cover easily all their markets)

for years I have thought of doing a youtube vid on this, but of course never do. Not easy to do a good effective video by yourself, need 4 hands type of thing.