canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
IF you can find them, the price for a pair will probably approach that of a lower end new hub.
Yeah, I noticed some prices are as high as $10 per cone. That's getting pretty close to the point at which I'd probably just buy another readymade wheel and save the original for if and when I ever luck into an affordable set of cones or a donor bike.

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Agreed that ft hubs typically have the same cone on both sides and that rears may or might not have the same cones. Freehubs often don't. But the bearing architecture usually is the same side to side. What isn't the same is the dust cap/seal/cone wrench flats aspects. So one can, most all the time exchange the left and right cones if one is willing to do some playing with spacers and assembly order (so to insure cone/lock nut tightness and the ability to adjust the bearing). Of course it's best to get the OEM cones for each side if possible. Andy.
Thanks, always appreciate the info you offer.

I may just clean and repack these hubs and either keep riding 'em until I buy new wheels, or retire them to another bike that's used only once a week or so for short distance errands. Although I suppose eventually the ball bearings will be damaged and in turn damage the hub housing races, which for now are still okay.

I wouldn't have even noticed the problem except one of the dust/grease caps popped slightly askew and was causing some friction. Figured I'd just clean and regrease both hubs while I had the wheel off the bike. When I inspected the cones on the front I figured the rear hub will be in equally rough condition.