Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
My earlier question here ("Shimano hub 'left and right' cones or ambibikestrous?") brought up another question: Which cost effective hubs are the best choices for long term maintenance?

I hadn't realized until I Googled around for replacement cones for early 1990s Shimano Exage HB-RM50 front, and FH-HG50 rear hubs, that Shimano varied cones so much. I'd just assumed they used pretty much the same parts for many models and years. But, no. That complicates long term maintenance. The hub body is fine, but what good is that if the cones are scarce or not cost effective?

If I'm considering a new (or good used) hub or wheelset, what's likely to still be maintainable and cost effective in 10-20 years?
I think there's no rules, guarantees and cones (at least in my country) are quite hard to source. If you do regular service, cones won't get damaged. However, if you want to be on the safe side, before buying hubs, check if there are spare cones available and get a few pairs, shouldn't be too expensive.