View Single Post
Old 10-24-16, 06:16 PM
imanoff

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PaintItCeleste
Just throwing it out there, my opinions, so take them for what they're worth. This definitely isn't counterfit as it's not any notable model worth the effort. I would say, this bike "is what it is". An entry- to-mid-range aluminum alloy frame with CF fork bike. The components are fine. Bread and butter and work well. Altogether in present condition (assuming everything is working), in my area, you wouldn't have trouble getting $350-400 for it given the integrated shifters/new-ish components, brand name, and the dash of celeste color. As far as upgrading it or building it up Italian, you could do that but I would say there are far nicer frames out there more worthy of the effort. The welds on this frame alone are rather unsightly.

Also, in the future, when looking for more info on a bike be sure to capture and post images of the drive-side (side with the crank and derailleurs) as that gives us a little more insight into the componentry and condition of important bits.
Thank you for your reply and thorough explanantion. I guess I will just keep it as it is as my everyday ride. Everything is working and in a pleasant condition at this moment. I just need to replace the brake pad as it is already worn out.

Also, apologise for the pictures. Next time, I will post pictures of the drive-side with the derailleurs etc. Well noted with thanks.

Out of curiousity, assuming that I have a budget at around $1,000-ish and I want to restore/rebuild a nice and lightweight (US or Italian/European) vintage frame that are worth more the effort, what would you recommend?

Originally Posted by SkyDog75
For model identification and valuation, it would be handy to know your location.

Bianchi, like many companies, has sold different products in different markets. For example, as far as I'm aware, my Bianchi San Mateo was only marketed in the U.S. If someone's going to sift through catalogs to help identify your bike, let's help them make sure they're looking at the right country's catalogs.

Used bike prices also vary a LOT by locale. For example, I'm in New York, but a rural part of the state and nowhere near New York City. A bike that'll sell for $200 in a heartbeat in the city might sit unsold for weeks with a $100 asking price here.
Thanks for your reply. The previous owner said that the bike was Asian market. Not sure which part of Asia though. So, I suppose, if I am looking for a vintage bike at cheaper price, then the best way to do that is take a look at the advertisements/Craiglists/eBay from the rural part of the state and far from the big cities?

One more question, with regard to the alumunium/alloy, is there any lifetime usage of the bike? I mean, will they became worn out, fatigued, etc after 20ish years or so?