Old 11-06-16, 05:52 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10989 Post(s)
Liked 7,510 Times in 4,200 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Funny, I don't know the LHT personally but I'm trying to think of what major developments have made a significant difference to touring, and I define that for this discussion as traditional loaded on paved roads.
If you are going back so far that aluminum vs steel rims are discussed, then there are some significant changes you didnt mention.

Geometry and brazeons. That has made a huge difference for touring.
Being able to connect racks direct to the frame while also running fenders is a big change.
More relaxed geometry for stable steering and heel clearance is a big change.

As for the others you mention...
Indexed shifting is a game changer. As someone who has 3 bikes thst are friction, i fully recognize and appreciate friction shifting, but indexed is absolutely simple and reliable. Its allowed tons of people to better use their bikes. That, to me, is big. Anyone who legitimately tries to argue that indexed isnt a big deal is either unaware or being contrarian.

The 3rd ring has been huge, ageed. More gearing in back has also been huge. Riding a 3x6 vs a 3x9 is a big difference in enjoyment due to the smaller jumps and the ability to typically have a larger range cassette.

Another big development has been the ability for rear derailleurs to handle more capacity and a larger cog. Thats legit tech improvement.