Old 11-18-16, 09:33 AM
Sir_Name 

Bikes: are fun!

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 864 Times in 273 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
Yeah, if you want Jack Taylor quality workmanship, you might want to get a professional to do it, or at least give up coffee for a few months before trying this. My box lining is shaky and amateurish for sure. I don't really mind. I put the frame flat on a table with plenty of space to walk around. Put the dog outside before trying this. Holding the pen between my thumb and first two fingers, leaving the last two fingers to act as a guide, I kinda lock my fingers with the pen placed on the tube where I want the line to go, then pull my hand down the tube as if it's paralyzed. It's a matter of stepping backward while using shoulder and elbow only for minor adjustments. You want to move briskly; any sign of hesitation will show up on the frame. The short lines are more difficult. If you want a guide for the short lines, the ones that go around the tube rather than up the tube, use something that follows the curve of the tube and is thick enough that the shaft (rather than the tip) of the pen rests on the guide. I do the long lines first, then remember that it would have made a lot of sense to do the short ones first.
Thanks, that helps. JT quality not necessary here, so hopefully a fun winter project.