View Single Post
Old 12-18-16, 06:09 AM
Cyclist0084

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
There are about 4 local bike path segments that I've deemed reasonably safe for sprinting (25 to 30 MPH, solo). Mostly short segments. I have a mild disinterest in most of the rest of the segments, some which seem to go through too busy of areas.

But, I've always told myself that I'll abort any run if conditions dictate.

The eagle was one aborted segment... when a small crowd of people were looking at the sky, and wandering across the path (10 foot path?).

Another aborted run... 20 foot wide bike path. Someone was looking at flowers or something on the side, then darted directly across the path in front of me, side to side. I laid a little rubber on the road for that one... but that is life.

Plenty of other things to stress about than other users on a shared bike path (MUP).

I never yell. Just slow down and yield to other trail users.

One thing, always ride reasonably predictably. So, a trike suddenly stopping in front of another person could be a bit of a pain, but not that much of an issue if already stopped.

Visibility, of course, also varies on the bike paths... and all of my "sprints" are in high visibility, low traffic areas.