View Single Post
Old 12-18-16, 08:18 PM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh International utility; '98 Moser Forma road; '92 Viner Pro CX upright

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
While there are a few irresponsible people with dogs, I'm more impressed by the really well trained dogs. They're practically invisible because they don't draw attention to themselves. And one guy in particular works hard with his dog on training. I've seen him around various parts of the trail and park, sometimes separated from his dog by 50 yards or more, reinforcing training. When I see that dog "alone" on the unpaved path alongside the paved path I know its master is near by working on visual commands or vocal commands just out of sight. It's quite impressive to see how that dog is absolutely zeroed in on its master and doesn't flinch when cyclists and joggers zip by.

And a couple of fellows who fish the stream have dogs roaming freely, but the dogs immediately rejoin their masters when other people approach, and sit next to their masters until the cyclists, joggers or walkers pass, then resume their usual dogged investigations into nearby scents. That sort of careful behavior doesn't happen accidentally.
I raised a bunch of good heel hounds myself, and really enjoy seeing well-trained dogs on the trail.
They possess self-confidence and are spook-proof - qualities that untrained dogs don't have.